Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Multiplying Two Binomials

For those of you that don't know...a binomial is a two-term polynomial like these:

     

Probably the most common strategy of teaching students how to multiply two binomials is using the FOIL method.  FOIL is an acronym for "First, Outer, Inner, Last."  That is, multiply the first terms, multiply the outer terms, multiply the inner terms, and finally multiply the last terms.  It's easy to remember, so that's why I think it's popular.


Then there's the visual strategy of drawing a face.  I like to think I have a good imagination, but this visual just doesn't do it for me.  There's also the bird's beak.  If these strategies don't get the students excited about multiplying binomials then try this beak...it should do the trick.


Standards:
Common Core Standard A-APR
Alaska A-APR.1
Minnesota 9.2.3.2
Nebraska MA 12.3.3.d
Texas TEKS 111.32 (b) (4)
Virginia Math SOL A.2

2 comments:

  1. I think you meant to type "finally multiply the last terms". I always use the foil method but I never knew there was an acronym name for it. Nice. I can visulize the face so that is good too. How creative is the beak method!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...thanks. Typo fixed. This is what happens when you have two kiddos distracting you every 3 minutes.

      Delete